VLC Media Player
The old way
Want to play a DVD? Fire-up that ( licensed :) ) WinDVD..
Want to play MP3… double click that old WinAMP…
Windows Media Player, I wonder what it does…
Want to stream some japan anime movie so your friend can enjoy it too??? Are you sure we can do that?
Want to run all this on Linux / BSD / Mac? Now I am going to bang my head on the computer table..
The smart way
Download VLC Media Player from www.videolan.org, and tada… it can play all of the above mentioned media file beasts.
Some of its features: -
- Plays mpeg-1, mpeg-2, divx, avi…. You name it all (it doesn’t matter if you don’t know the differences; we are end users are we?)
- Plays VCD / DVD – now you can uninstall all the other DVD players to save some disk space / or get rid of those pesky, irritating desktop menus / icons, and yeah, DVD subtitles are viewable too.
- Stream media to the network – now you can let your irritating neighbor connect to your pc and share the movie without disturbing your viewing privacy
Playlist – they’re crazy if they don’t make this as a feature
Linux / BSD / Mac compatible – all geeks rejoice!, GUI haters can use it from the command line too
Mozilla plug-in? You tell me what this is. Haven’t used it yet.
Skinnable – although minimalist like me prefer it as it is
- Screenshot / Snapshot taker – maybe you want to capture that wonderful king-kong moments
- Equalizers - change the way you listen to that tune dude!
Zoom capability - for the ones who want to make that monitor screen bigger virtually (guys on a shoestring budget that is, millionaires doesn’t need this)
That’s all folks. So how’s my first review? Comments are welcomed.
Add to del.icio.us |
Googlize this post! |
Add to BlinkList |
Digg it! |
Spurl this! |
Add to Technorati Favorites |